Saturday, December 19, 2009

DeDe...

As of this morning, DeDe still hasn't slept.  That makes about 48 hours without sleep.  Here's a run-down of what happened:

He woke up Thursday night around midnight to go to the bathroom and realized that he wasn't stable while he walked.  He decided to make some coffee and stay up.  He finally called my Aunt Denise around 5:15 and told her something was wrong.  She and my Uncle Jerry took him to the emergency room in Irving.  Apparently his symptoms got worse while in the waiting room.  His mouth began to start to droop on the right side and he began to lose more use of his right arm and leg.  They did an initial CT scan and couldn't see the clot.  (That's not abnormal- clots tend to travel).  His speech began to slur (for all my SLP friends, it's very ataxic).  However, cognitively, he's still there.  He remembers going to watch my cousin coach a basketball game the previous day, even remembers the score.  After another CT scan and an MRI, the results are still waiting to be read by the neurologist.

I'll be sure and keep ya'll posted whenever I know something.  Prayers are appreciated!

**At my graduation last year**
According to the neurologist, the stroke is ongoing.  Meaning, most strokes are short and sweet, this one is not.  She also told us that it is located in the brainstem, not in the brain itself.  My speech path friends know the severity of that.  As of right now, he's lost feeling and most sensation in his right arm and can no longer lift his right leg.  They are expecting him to remain in the hospital beyond Christmas.  The rehab doctor will come and do his initial evaluation on Monday and give us a better time line until then.  Guaranteed stay until at Christmas at least.  Some of you may not know, but DeDe isn't a Christmas person anymore.  He hasn't been since MeMe died a few years ago.  So, I'm not sure how this Christmas is going to look.  However it looks, it'll be the way it's supposed to.  None of this was a surprise to God.  He knew this was going to happen and that we were going to have to endure it.  I've got to keep telling myself that.

No comments:

Post a Comment